Saturday, June 03, 2006

Up North

Going up North was a totally different experience. First, I took a domestic flight from Danang to Hanoi, where I transferred to a night train leaving for Lau Cai. The train ride was uninviting at most, which departed at 10pm and arrived in LauCai around 6am in the morning. From there, my pre-arranged driver picked me up and drove me to my hotel, where I checked in and and refreshed myself. Breakfast was nothing to be boostful about. The dishes was pittiful when compared to the feast at Gold Sand Resort in HoiAn. Of course, 86 vs 40 US dollars, what more could I ask for.

Weather was not kind, plagued by splatter of rain clouds and drizzles, which got me soaked through n through on my morning walk to the mountainous area. BUt there are always opportunities around.

Before long, I found myself scaling a tiny hill, only to realize it's a cemetery. And to my amazement, there were free roaming buffalos and horses grazing all over the hill. That's when this mare caught my eyes.



Good lighting moments were few and far between. Further downhill, I continued my random rumbling and saw some elderly chaps walking in my direction. Instantly, I squated by the raod side and framed this. And I thought they were supposed to by shy. Just look at the expressions on the grandfather!



Soon I was by a run down shed where a group of local kids were trying to persuade me into buying their handicrafts. Not cheap by town standard! So bewarned. They make good sales persons, as judged by their relentless patience. Finally bought a tiny flute from one of the girls after much bargaining, cause she knew I won't pay anything more than a dollar. With the purchase, I kept for myself a momento.



>>> Reflecting on this trip, Can't help but feel it's a little constipated emotionally. Too much memory of Angkhang to steal the thunder. Everything seems a little off. There were just too much physical interaction than spiritual link here.<<<

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home