Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Central Vietnam

A communist turned republic country, Vietnam is replete with all sorts of exotica; from its unique culture to the ever green padi fields cultivated into the mountains. There seems to be an infinite array of wonders at every turn. While I do not use the term poor to describe their living conditions, I should say simplicity is the word to describe them best. Vietnamese are very warming folks, from elderly chaps to stumbling toddlers. All seem so affable. Somehow, this country reminds me of the larger extension of Angkhang, Chiangmai.

And so Jeff embarked on another journey to East Asia on his own with a Lowepro Computertrekker on his back topped with a tripod to conquer the country. Within 9 days, he swept on one swift swoop from Central Vietnam up to the cool and moisted Northern countryside. Crossing from Central to Northern country is akeen to transiting from a desert to a cool house, where everything takes a dramatic drape of faded colors.

Danang was my first stopover, where my plane landed in her primitive airport. The originally planned driver to fetch me to the Ancient town of Hoian was no where in sight when I arrived. So I hailed on a taxi ride to some 36km outskirts to the Hoian township.

This being an unplugged trip, I took my time to settle down with plenty of scheduled and unscheduled rests interspersed. For the first evening, I took a stroll along the river bank remote from the cacophony of the town and met a 15yr old teenager, who warmly invited me into his house, where he introduced his family (sister and father).


He seemed bubbly enough and soon made another invitation to bring me on a boat cruise, which I kindly accepted w/o a second thought. The following morning, we took a tiny boat out, together with his uncle and father, on a river cruise.

As u can see, no barring, only a skinny plank to reach the sampan. Of course I took a larger sampan equiped with a motor! As u can see, being equiped full battle order ready is not a good thing to begin with. Soon, I learnt to go solo.

These folks do not have the luxury of a brick house, only straws and they appeared quite content as it is. But that doesn't amount to playing poor hosts! In fact, they were just great people with big happy hearts. Soon, they won me over with their generous laughters and it turned out the trip has only just begun.



P.S. I passed my Oral defense :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home