Thursday, June 01, 2006

Set sail on a morn along the Hoian River

Time was about 6am in the morning and the river was already abuzzed with activities; from farmers ploughing in the pond to fishermen netting in the river.

Now how can I miss taking some record of their daily living. Let's see, the captain for that day was 'his' uncle. Just look at those rich features on his face.



And about their livihood. This family lived by the Hoian river and depended primarily on fishing. Their fishing gear comprised of an extended net puckered on four bamboo poles. This net is periodically lowered into the water and then elevated to check for catch. By the number I saw around the river, I just wondered how a tiny river could sustain so many mouths.



Along the river, we met another relative napping on some wooden platform made out in the middle of the water. With some rousing, he woke up to say hi.



Somewhere along the river bank, a half naked man paddled through a series of staggered traps on this wonderful day.



Opportunities just revealed themselves one after another and soon my shutter turns into a constant hammer in the busy morning. By the time I asked to drop by the even busier town, a perpectual smile was painted on my face- Jefflisa.

By the dock, an old lady beckoned to bring me for another river cruise, but I kindly rejected her offer. This is her on a spartan sampan. Life is not a bed of roses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home