Friday, April 14, 2006

Angkhang (IV)- Into the heart of the minority

The most impressionable aspect of Angkhang, apart from it's spectacular mountainscape, is the minority tribes that resided in the mountains. These folks have taught me a lesson in life; that to be content and find delight in everything I do; that to treat everyone with sincerity if you wish to be treated in equivalence. I can see no malice in these simple folks. Absolutely none.

As usual, my resort driver, who is a Yunan descendant in this early 20s drove me into his hometown. Although his mandrain is heavily accented with local slur, I could still make out what he's trying to say most of the time. He dropped me by the last home uphill, just when a gang of "5" approached my vehicle, attracted by all my toys. The first thing in their mind was to have their photo taken. And so I obliged.



The magical moment finally came when I showed them their individual portrait on my tiny LCD and they were simply delighted. I finally ambled downhill but with a couple of these kids still tagging along. I could still recall one young lady kept asking me for something though I can't understand a single word. It's only later when I returned to my room that it dawn on me she was asking for sweets.

Yes, and the kids that tagged along. She's a 9-yr old lady babysitting her yr old brother. I thought she wanted a personal portrait done with her little brother.



Further down hill, the daily activities of these simple folks came to live. Ever seen a old chap smoking traditional pipe?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home